A new book, pictured, helps to explain the brilliance of artisan sourdough breads like those made fresh daily on-site by Shawn Saunders and available in store. Stephen Yafa sifted through all the research he could find on the gluten controversy and came away with a nuanced view. While mega-selling books like Grain Brain and Wheat Belly make wheat the new asbestos, Yafa finds a happy medium whereby a properly made sourdough can be an ideal source of grain-based nutrition. “Fermentation methods and other processing techniques play a vital role in determining whether wheat is healthful or potentially harmful to the 99 percent of us who do not suffer from celiac disease,” he says. “Whole grains that don’t have the bran and germ stripped off to use for animal feed are also part of the answer,” he says.
RFD Newsletters 2007-2016
- Propagate: The Economic Reality of Agroecology
- Alan Guebert Keynotes 2014 MOSES Conference
- Normalize from Reality: Musing on the Rural-Urban Political Divide and The Future of Food
- Just Say No to Cell-Cultured Meat
- Pikes Peak Cattlemen’s Association 3-2-19
- Now This: Author Denise Hearn on the Hidden Cause of U.S. Inequality
- USDA Enables Rustlers
- Farmers Should Not be Bamboozled, 1897
- Building a Healthy, Humane, and Fair Food System – December 2018
- Colorado Springs Business Journal: Rancher-retailer has a beef with Big Food
About Ranch Foods Direct
Ranch Foods Direct is a meat packing facility and local farmer’s retail market delivering healthful, high quality, naturally tender meats and foods to consumers direct from the ranch.
Our goal is to foster a business that benefits both ranchers and consumers. Our processing and distribution systems assures incomparable quality, wholesomeness, eating satisfaction, and a mutually rewarding relationship of trust and responsibility between the rancher and you the customer.